What I Read | March

Monday 30 March 2015


As the end of another month rolls around it's that time again that I share with you what book I read this month!

Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
A crime drama with thrilling plot twists and unsolved mysteries, this one from Flynn is a must read! Here is a quick synopsis from Good Reads..

'Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she has been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

Who did massacre the Day family?'

I initially picked this book up because Gillian Flynn also wrote 'Gone Girl', a truly messed up but intriguing read. I wanted to see if this book was just as good and it really was! When I got into this book I just couldn't put it down, she left chapters on cliffhangers to keep me wanting to know more.

The novel is written from multiple perspectives and from both the past and present. Although I don't tend to like when novels are written like this, I thought Flynn did it excellently. It wasn't confusing and made the novel flow nicely. 

Honestly, it deals with many serious topics and contains some horrific and heart wrenching scenes but that is what you have to be prepared for when reading Flynn's work. It's an easy read, but not lighthearted and I wouldn't recommend this to younger readers. 

Basically, although sick and twisted it was absolutely brilliant and I would highly recommend this novel if you're looking for a mystery read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment