Instagram Battle: Personal v. Business Accounts

Friday 12 May 2017

 WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR BLOGGERS?


To clarify, I'm in no way an insta- expert, I'm just a small lil blogger who wanted to test algorithm to see if it could work in my favour. 

If you didn't know, anyone can switch their account to Instagram business. It gives you analytics and insights to every photo you post and allows you to put a clickable 'call' or 'email' button so you can be easily reached. Other than that? The difference isn't huge.

I got Instagram business before all of my fellow Irish blogging pals, it launched when I was in America last summer and therefore, I hopped on it as it was such a breakthrough for bloggers and businesses alike on Instagram. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I heard mumblings that Instagram business accounts are not all they're cracked up to be. I heard they held back on showing your photos to too many users that follow you therefore resulting in less engagement as they want us to pay to promote out content. After hearing that, I decided to test it out for myself and see if I noted any differences.



Initially I noticed when I switched to personal, there was a serious decrease in engagement. I don't know wether to put that down to the algorithm screwing us all over recently or me changing to a personal account?

Secondly I noticed that my followers fluctuated more than ever, I have put this down to possibly bots (who follow and then unfollow for accounts) target personal profiles rather than business? But who knows, something that is quite up in the air too!

Obviously I can't view my insights on a personal account (a huge thing I'm actually missing), but I wonder how many people are actually seeing my photos, is it less or is it more?! I think the insights tool is a huge asset when using a business account and ultimately, makes the account seem far more desirable to me.

As I navigate back to a business account I'll keep updating this post and everything I'm leaning about the two, but in the mean time: what works for you?!

And a quick shameless plug, if you're not already following me on Instagram, it's linked down below  if you want to check it out haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment