Belfast City Guide

Sunday 30 April 2017

Ah Belfast, a city just two hours north from Dublin yet quite different I must say. I headed up there last week for a little city break as it was a birthday present from my boyfriend and stayed for two nights exploring the place. Today I'll be sharing what we got up to, where we ate and stayed while we were there.

WHERE WE STAYED

We stayed in a little hotel called the Landsdowne Hotel just outside the city. It was basic enough but exactly what we needed for our stay.

THINGS TO DO

When we first arrived we headed to the Titanic Quarter to do the museum which we really enjoyed. The whole experience was really good and it was so interesting seeing how much went into the building of the ship and what it was like to be on it.

On the second day we went to the Giants Causeway. It is about an hour and a half north of the city by car, and boy am I glad we had the car! Although the structure is amazing to see and I'm glad I got to see it (because it was always on my list of things to see in Ireland), I probably won't be back. I may sound terribly uncultured saying that but I'd recommend seeing it if you're in Belfast as you're so close to it but I wouldn't come all the way from Dublin to see it!

The last day was by far the best, we visited Crumlin Road Gaol, the jail where all of the people involved in the troubles were held. The tour was so interesting and so informative, seeing all of the cells and execution chambers was crazy. Secondly we went on to do a Black Cab Tour, where we were brought around in a taxi and given a tour of the city being shown all of the protestant and catholic areas, and where all of the events happened during the troubles. The city of Belfast has so much history and this tour really highlighted that. It blew my mind finding out all about the events that occurred not too long ago in a place so close to where I live.

My friend Niamh went to Belfast the week before me and she told me she was doing the Game of Thrones tour, which is like an all day tour to the Giant's Causeway and all around the filming locations I believe. I have never watched the show, that's why we didn't go but if you're a fan I'd say that would be a very fun little trip.

WHERE TO EAT

I can't say we were too adventurous with our dinner choices (leaning on Five Guys and Milanos for 2/3 days) but we did find three little spots that were really nice.

For breakfast and brunch I would recommend Sozo, a little spot just outside the city. I had porridge and he had pancakes and it was so so nice.

For lunch, I'd recommend Cast and Crew if you're looking for a burger. It is actually the only spot to eat around the Titanic Quarter apart from the cafe inside but the whole set up was really trendy and the burgers were unreal!

For dinner one night we ended up at The Welcome Chinese Restaurant beside Queens University. The service was amazing and I really would recommend it if you're in the area. 


Overall, Belfast, you were fab. If you haven't been, it is a nice little city break to go on and with all of the history, you won't be short of things to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment