How to Deal with Weight Gain in Your Twenties

Friday 2 June 2017

Lets be honest, your twenties is when university/ work life hits, partying begins and the structured diets start to slide. In so many cases (with me included), weight starts to creep on and as generally this is the first time you really have to deal with it, it can be damn hard.

The month of March marked a year since my fitness downfall if you will and with my first smidge of exercise done since last summer, I feel it is time that I got my mojo back. Now I'd be lying if I told you I desperately wanted to go on a run (I really don't) but it is one of the ways I have dealt with gaining weight in my twenties. I'm here today to share with you how I in fact have dealt with my experience with weight gain.



A LITTLE BACKGROUND
Lets throw it back to 2014, in January I quit camogie and it was a sigh of relief. I didn't enjoy it anymore, or for a long time for that matter and the excuse of the Leaving Cert was my way out. Being my 8 stone something, 18 year old self I was the tiniest and most toned I had ever been and really didn't need the exercise to keep off the weight.

Fast forward to the beginning to mid 2015, I really started to put on weight. Now I blame both the contraceptive pill and an extremely bad diet however by the end of 2015 I was a bit of a fitness junkie. I was in the gym 4 times a week and loving every minute of it. I didn't have the diet to match, so I didn't see huge results but I toned up a bit.

March of 2016, I was at my fittest since my camogie days running 10km three or four times a week on top of gym sessions. For one reason or another I just stopped, a huge regret of mine and now I am ridiculously out of shape.

Summer 2016 was when I went to San Diego and a diet went off the wall. I was eating just an acai bowl/ a slice of pizza, a Twix and a can of Four Loko a day and I lost all tone that I ever had, understandably haha. It totally messed up my metabolism, my weight shot down but I wasn't healthy at all. When I arrived home it took me weeks to slowly ween myself onto actually eating meals and it is still an issue I'm dealing with today, I just can't eat the same amount that I used to.

*disclaimer* This was a ridiculous way of treating my body and not eating is definitely not the way to go about losing weight AT ALL. It messes up your body so much and is so so bad for you.. Learn from my mistakes!

After that disaster, I gained more weight than I ever lost and now I'm the heaviest I have ever been. I know everyone deals with body confidence and nobody is ever happy with their body, but it is time now to get my ass into gear and get running again if nothing else.

MY TIPS
Let's be honest, it is inevitable that when you hit your twenties you're going to gain weight. Some are blessed with high metabolisms but for most of us, we ain't that lucky. Here are my tips on how to deal with the weight gain.

Stop Comparing Yourself
Everyone's bodies are different so stop comparing yourself to your friends. Instagram models? Face the reality that their extremely edited photos and carefully posed shots just ain't reality. We are constantly presented with unrealistic body types in the media so it is up to you to ensure you don't imagine these figures as realistic. If you're looking to lose weight, use realistic images and role models on social media for motivation but avoid the others at all costs, you'll just end up feeling sorry for yourself later.

Exercise
Now this doesn't have to be strenuous! Going on a light jog or a walk with your friend does wonders. The endorphines that you get from it will boost your confidence and just make you feel better in general. I have found just going on light jogs have resulted in me feeling so much happier about my body, even though nothing has changed. Knowing that you're doing that little bit for yourself makes you feel amazing.

Try Different Styles and Dress for Your Size
Something that I found extremely difficult was not being able to fit into them tiny shorts I wore when I was 18 but it is something you have to grow accustomed to. Trying new styles and buying clothes that fit you properly can always enhance your figure and make you feel so good. If the jeans don't fit, just dump them because there is no point in trying to squeeze into them- it'll make you feel worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment