Summertime in Chicago | A Reflection

Tuesday 11 September 2018


Some say that labor day weekend is a farewell to summer, and boy am I sad to hear that. I arrived in Chicago in the dead of Winter, the 30th of December. It was about -14 degrees celcius, there was snow on the ground and to say 'sure you wouldn't be long getting frostbit' was an absolute understatement. I got a little job to keep me going where I on a daily basis I was met with the words 'just wait until summer, summertime in Chicago is THE BEST' and boy were they right.
The days got longer, sun got stronger and all of a sudden it was 30 degrees, restaurants had their doors open and of course the place was streaming with Irish. The J1's had hopped off the plane, piled their air mattresses high and we hit Joe's most Tuesdays because by the Monday evening I had forgotten how absolutely tragic the hangover was sitting in work from 8:30 - 5 the Wednesday previous. The J1 season had gotten off to a bad start for me, my first Joe's experience I was far too sober for if you ask me. $2 pitchers of Bud Lite and a burst of freedom for some young Irish boys just aren't a great mix. I came out looking like I had just showered in Bud Lite to meet two very rude Irish (which we won't talk about today) but luckily, it was all up from there and I can feel myself starting to miss the absolute dive that is Joe's on Weed St.
For me, summer started when I arrived home from my trip to Ireland. My parent's came to visit the day after and we wined, dined and acted like tourists for the week. It was bloody lovely to spend some quality time with them since we now obviously live so far away from each other. It's so easy to catch up over Whatsapp but it doesn't beat some quality time. Then my best friend Lizzy visited the week after, same thing- more eating, drinking and exploring Chicago which was so much fun.

The 4th of July came and went which we spent watching the fireworks on Navy Pier which was followed by (probably one of the best trips of my life) VEGAS! Now while I have a whole blog post written on it already, I can't help but touch on it again. Between looking rough at the pool parties while some absolute queens looked fabulous in their Gucci belt's and heels to meeting Olly Murs, it was so much fun. It's insane to think we saw Calvin Harris, The Chainsmokers and Kygo all within 3 days of each other, but thats the beauty of Vegas. It really is a girls world over there so if you're heading over, just know you only need to flash a smile and you'll be straight into VIP! For more tips and tricks and to hear more about what we got up to, make sure to check out my blog post here.

My second trip of the year fell at the end of July with a very spur of the moment trip to San Diego. I had my reservations about going, I had such an amazing time there before but I was worried it wouldn't how I remembered it. I was worried I had almost romanticised it and it just would be the same as when I lived there in 2016. But let me tell you, it was! I was only there for about 36 hours but I fell in love with the city all over again. I met my cousin Emma and her three friends there as they spent about 2 and a half weeks there in this Airbnb. We drank, went to Seaport Village, got acai bowls and lay on the beach, I had the perfect day there. Before I knew it I was whisked off to the airport yet again but with a firm belief that San Diego cannot be beaten and a low key regret that I didn't do my graduate visa there haha.

Following that was my two day stint at Lollapolooza where Bruno Mars absolutely rocked the main stage. My cousin Emma then came to visit me for the week where we went on jet skis and got the gals together so we could drunkenly go and see Mamma Mia 2 where we were the only ones in the screening, ideal for us as we know ALL the words.

Towards the end of August I got free tickets to a Cubs baseball game in Wrigley Field where Niamh and I had AMAZING seats. I got to meet David Dobrik after the game, he was just standing outside a bar (yes I fangirled and yes I'm a 10 year old boy haha).

Finishing off the summer, I had to bid Wicker Park goodbye as my lease came to an end and move across town to Wrigleyville with the girls.

This was just a little summery of my summer here in the windy city. My J1 graduate visa has been a whirlwind so far and I feel like I need to share it more here on my blog. Anyway, here's to cosy knits, chelsea boots and hot coffees- roll on fall (lol sorry I've turned v obnoxiously American).

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely place, thank you for sharing it with us.
    airport parking luton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you are planning a trip, a group outing or even an executive travel, you don’t have to worry with the 12 seater minibus hire from Champion Coach Hire. Over the years, we have successfully emerged as renowned professionals in the UK for offering the best, assured service. With vehicles of different seating capabilities, we have recently added the standard 12-seater minibuses in our fleet for catering to our client’s requirements. At Champion Coach Hire, we ensure that our services are warm, approachable, and friendly to our clients. alton towers minibus hire
    coach hire peterborough
    minibus hire stevenage
    london to luton minibus hire
    minibus hire blackpool

    ReplyDelete