Stepping out of my Comfort Zone | OOTD

Thursday 26 May 2016

Between the end of semester rush of exams and trying to get assignments finished, getting the final few bits ready for my J1 as well as trying to keep my social life in tact, May has been crazy so far! The scariest thing is that as of yesterday, I am finished my second year in college.. This semester has probably been the best I've had so far and although there were nothing but complaints along the way, I really will miss it over the summer. I feel like I finally came to love college again this semester because I finally started to step out of my comfort zone.

I have always been the quiet one. In primary school I was painfully shy, in secondary school I never would speak up or have my say, even last year in college the thought of wanting to do a presentation made me sick to my stomach but slowly but surely I'm getting better and why is that? I have started doing things that I never would have before. My blog is a platform that I am eternally grateful for, through social media and blog events I have started to gain confidence and embracing opportunities that I'm presented with. One day it just came over me that why should I care about what others think of me? I just need to live for today, do what I love and strive to do my best, which is why I just had to get away this summer.

As you may have heard me talk about a million times before (I feel like I never stop talking about it at this stage haha), I'm going on a J1 in two weeks, which means packing my bags and moving to San Diego, California for three months. It is something that I have dreamed about for years and I can't believe it has actually come around so fast. I had so much regret about last summer, although I got to go on an amazing holiday to Florida, my summer felt unfulfilled and uneventful. When push came to shove, I actually was scared that this summer would be the same and it would pass by with the same regret. I knew I had to do something worthwhile. Back in October or November, on a stroll along the beach with my best friend Lizzy one evening we decided, lets do it and I'm so glad we did. I can't say I am a home bird- I was shipped off to Connemara in Galway for three weeks every summer from the age of 13 with no sign of being homesick, to be honest I was counting down the days until we had to go and I was practically running out the door when the time came but this is different. To move country for three months is a big step, I'll be thrown into unknown territory with only one familiar face and living on my own for the very first time but I can't help be excited by the thought of it all.

If you take anything away from this post, take risks, step out of your comfort zone and just do things NOW. If Lizzy and I didn't arrange to go on this experience of a lifetime a few months ago then I would be complaining right now about not doing anything worthwhile for summer. If you're in college, get an internship, join a sport or even start a blog, do what you want to do. Keep busy, grow as a person and keep on bettering yourself, you'll thank yourself later. 


Shirt / Jeans / Boots / Sunglasses (Quay x Amanda Steele)

No comments:

Post a Comment